The original 1983 text has been scanned from a printed version into text files which were proofread and marked up with HTML tags by the author himself:
- The original page numbers are indicated on the right margin, for reference purposes.
- Words which appeared underlined in the 1983 edition (as typed by a daisywheel printer) have been rendered in bold face.
- Footnotes in the original text appear in colored boxes just after the reference.
- Although the author has resisted the temptation to change the text in any way, a few minor typos have been corrected (misspelled or missing words). Such corrections appear discreetely in blue type.
- A few cross-referencing hyperlinks have been added for the convenience of online readers, without changing at all the original text.
- The only material not in the 1983 text is limited to this page, to the brief warning in the colored header on the title page and to the navigation footers appearing at the bottom of each section.
- A scanned version of the master copy preserved in the archives of the UCLA Computer Science Department is available online as Technical Report 840029 (pdf, 3.97 MB).
Please direct any comment to the author at firstname.lastname@example.org. Thanks.